How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27268
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson lives with his mother and step-dad. My son is the

This answer was rated:

My grandson lives with his mother and step-dad. My son is the father of my grandson, my son lives with me right now. We have pictures of my grandson bottom and thigh where his mother beat bruises on his bottom and thigh with a wooden spoon. This was report to the child abuse hotline. They did nothing. We then found out the the step-dad was sexually abusing my grandson. His dad took my grandson to childrens mercy hospital to be checked out...they couldnt rule out sexual abuse. This was reported to child abuse hotline...they did nothing. We just now found out that my grandsons step-dad beat my grandson with a wooden spoon. We called child abuse hotline again...they said that this didn't meet their criteria for abuse. My son wants to get custody of my grandson. My son fears for the safety of my grandson. Please what can we do legally?

The court is going to act in the best interest of the child. In this case, if there is abuse, your son could seek custody of the child. Any evidence that you have and which you relied on in the past, can be shown to the Judge to prove the child is being harmed. Your son need to retain an attorney and seek full custody of his son, to make sure this does not continue to happen. If the police are not going to get involved and press charges against him, then you need to remove the child from the harmful environment.

FamilyAnswer and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can we remove my grandson from the environment right now and do it legally?

I take it the numbers you called were these:


Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline

The Children's Division Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline Unit (CA/NHU) accepts confidential reports of suspected child abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Reports are received through a toll-free telephone line which is answered seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Members of certain occupational groups, such as teachers, social workers, and physicians, are mandated by law to make reports to the Hotline. Any person may report, and anonymous reports are accepted from individuals who are not mandated by occupation to report. Effective August 28, 2004, Missouri law requires Mandated Reporters to identify themselves when making a report.

The toll-free number is XXXXX

Persons calling from outside Missouri should dial(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Text telephone number: 1-800-669-8689.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I called that number. I am a paramedic and am also mandated by law to report this. They would not even investigate the reports I called them on. They told me that the physical abuse and sexual abuse I reported did not meet their criteria to warrent an investigation! So what do we do, wait until the step-dad or mom critically injures or kills him? I just want to help my son get my grandson out of that house. What else can we do?
On Monday, file a motion with the court asking for an emergency hearing on this and allow the court to step in. It seems very odd that a report of child abuse was made and they would not even investigate. Since the police or child services wont help, you need to go through the courts as quickly as possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have talked to the police in our town. But I am can we press charges against the step-dad and mom?

Child abuse is a crime against the State of Missouri. The child is only the victim. The state has the discretion to arrest and charge. If the police are unwilling to investigate, you may need to contact the prosecutors office and see if they will look into this.

FamilyAnswer and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you