How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Representation of Clients in Family Courts for Criminal and Civil Matters for several years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friend wants to get divorced because husband cheated on her.

Resolved Question:

Friend wants to get divorced because husband cheated on her. Husband did not admit and but the woman he slept with admitted to the affair. She can't afford a lawyer, has children, and wants to keep them. Live and own a house in NY. What can she do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
She can petition for the divorce herself, citing infidelity as the reason for wanting a divorce.

This is a good self-help site for her to get started in filing for divorce and custody of her children:
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you tell me what she might expect to pay to retain a lawyer for a divorce or might there be help available to her from....?
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
It would probably cost at least $5,000, but she may qualify for probono assistance:

Edited by Ced on 5/1/2010 at 9:35 PM EST
Cedric and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you