Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

my husband is mentally ill and for the 10 years we have been

Customer Question

my husband is mentally ill and for the 10 years we have been together he has left me every spring he is bipolar and has extreme manic episodes. 3 years ago we were married and he still continues to have these exact same episodes in which he claims he never loved me, is leaving me and goes a on a extreme binder spending thousands of dollars and filing for divorce getting into trouble with the law ect. duis. he has property that is i believe about to sell, stocks he doesnt think i know about and shares in the family coorprate farm. also his fother is dying and is about to leave him alot of money. My question is am i entitled to 1/2 of his stuff after 3 years of marriage .10 years together all the mentall anquish i went through being a very patient and understanding wife, forgiving him , understanding his mental illness all the emergency roomtrips, court dates, rehab(which failed), medication mishaps,abuse. he has never given me money. can i hire a lawyerr that will work for pro bono.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Response: Unfortunately, you cannot get half of your husband's assets since he accumulated most of those assets before you were married even if you were together at that time. Generally, property acquired before the marriage are separate property that would not be subject to property division. Wyoming is equitable distribution state. This means that the Court would divide marital property by reviewing various factors. The division may be 90/10; 80/20; 70/30; 60/40. Such factors are (1) the respective merits of the parties and the condition in which they will be left by the divorce; (2) the party through whom the property was acquired; and (3) the burdens imposed upon the property for the benefit of either party and children. Inherited property is considered separate property and would not be subject to property division. See Wyoming Statutes Annotated; Title 20, Chapter 20-2-114:

"In granting a divorce, the court shall make such disposition of the property of the parties as appears just and equitable, having regard for the respective merits of the parties and the condition in which they will be left by the divorce, the party through whom the property was acquired and the burdens imposed upon the property for the benefit of either party and children. The court may decree to either party reasonable alimony out of the estate of the other having regard for the other's ability to pay and may order so much of the other's real estate or the rents and profits thereof as is necessary be assigned and set out to either party for life, or may decree a specific sum be paid by either party."

You can look for free legal services in Wyoming at these sites:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wyoming+free+legal+services&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by AttorneyPhillips on 5/1/2010 at 7:58 PM EST