Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband and I presently live in an in-law apartment in my

divorced daughter's house.We contributed $70000...
My husband and I presently live in an in-law apartment in my divorced daughter's house.We contributed $70000. for the down payment, and paid for a bedroom addition for 4500. She will be remarrying soon, and we will be moving out. Do we have any legal recourse in recovering this moneyk ? She claims she will pay us back but hasn't said when or how much.
5/1/2010
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
I am assuming that she is the only one on the deed. As such the 74,500 at the present time is a gift. How much is the house worth?
The house is worth $400,000. She is the only one on the deed.
Your options are to forget about it and hope that she repays or just consider it as rent. Ask her to sign a note and mortgage to you for the amount or sue her for it but per the statute of frauds it was supposed to be in writing or it is not enforceable.The other option is to ask her to put you on the deed as joint tenants with the right of survivorship.

Edited by lwpat on 5/1/2010 at 7:22 PM EST
If we asked her to put us on the deed, how would that affect our tax status. Also, can we put any kind of lien on the house for just the addition? I have recepts for all the work done.
Also, can we put any kind of lien on the house for just the addition?

that is what I meant by suing her.

how would that affect our tax status

Not sure what you mean? It would not change your tax status.
I guess what I meant was do we get the same tax benefits as if we owned the home?
What tax benefits are you asking about? Please be specific since I have no idea.

Edited by lwpat on 5/1/2010 at 7:41 PM EST
Would we be responsible for property taxes?
As an owner you would be responsible for your share of the property taxes. Who actually pays would depend on an agreement between the parties
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer