How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in the US army and am stationed in nc, I have

Customer Question

I am currently in the US army and am stationed in nc, I have a girlfriend who is in mn and has a child with another guy. We want to get married but she has just gotten divorced with him and am i pretty much out of luck with her being able to move with me during my military carreer? Because he has got custody of the child too is there anyway or ever heard of a situation like this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - First allow me to thank you for your service to our country. This is a very common situation with divorced parents since both parents have a right to be involved in their child's life. Your girlfriend is permitted to move but she cannot remove the child without the father's or the court's consent. She would have to turn the custody over to the father and then establish visitation on a long distance basis.


Many parents have long distance visitation relationships with the non custodial parent having several weeks in the summer and a week at Christmas etc. Other than that I have no solution to the problem unless she can work something out with the father or convince a court that it is in the best interests of the child to be able to move.


Dave Kennett