How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This concerns Michigan law regarding child support to an emancipated

Resolved Question:

This concerns Michigan law regarding child support to an emancipated minor. The statute says the minor must prove they have income and are capable of managing their own financial affairs, but also says "the parents of a minor emancipated by court order are jointly and severally liable for support of the minor." How can this be? Are there any cases explaining this contradiction? Al of the other states are clear that parents do not have to pay child support to an emancipated minnor. I need a Michigan lawyer to answer this question. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
You are reading the statute wrong. Once a child is legally emancipated by court order, the parent(s) do NOT have the financial liability for the support of the emancipated minor. Reread the statute and you will see it distinguished between unemancipated and emancipated minors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did not misread the statute - it is a quote, see section 722.4e(2).

Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.

Let me try to explain it to you this way. I understand as a nonlawyer you are reading the strict word of the law, as that is what I mean by you're not understanding.


When a minor becomes emancipated by court order, that minor is viewed to be an adult for certain matters such as living alone, signing contracts, etc... but can not do other things like vote, purchase alcohol, etc...


The court order terminated the parent liability to support the child. However until the child "naturally emanicipates" (turns 18), the court can revoke/rescind the court order should at some point prior to 18, that minor is no longer able to support him/herself and/or is proven to not be appropriate as an adult.


It hope that clears it up for you.

Daniel Solutions and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you