Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If there is a parenting consent order which had entered into when one child was

Customer Question
14 and the other child...
If there is a parenting consent order which had entered into when one child was 14 and the other child 16, which contained weekend and summer visitation schedules, what is the affect of that order upon the child reaching the age of 18 years old, altough the 18 year old is not fully emancipated because he is still attending college.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

What state has jurisdiction?
State of New Jersey. To be clear, although I am willing to comply with and cooperate with the terms of the parenting schedule in regard to transportation and such, can the the 18 year old be required to follow this schedule.

18 is the age of majority in New Jersey. This is true regardless of whether a child support order is still in effect. An 18-year-old is not required to adhere to the parenting schedule.

FLAandNYLawer.your answer was helpful but not the complete answer which I was seeking as per my request for source material. Could you please advise me where I can locate exact source material which will state that an "18 year old does not have to adhere to the terms of the parenting order". Is there a relavent case I can look up?

I am unable to locate anything on line beyond the definition of "the age of Majority". A year ago after a four year litigation in which I spent over $100,000. I dismissed my attorney and have represented myself quite effectively since. The dismissal of the attorney was not done in a negative context, I was happy with his work, however, most of the heavy lifting was complete.

With that said, I am still involved in a lot of "nonsense relative" to the parenting terms and I could use some help at times in terms of what the heck I am doing especially with the involvement of the parenting coordinator. Would have no problem forming a relationship with an attorney for just such help. Phone # XXXXX XXXXX I have no aversion to paying an agreeable price at times in terms of advice in the right direction, while still maintaining my pro se status.

Can you please answer the above question, and reach out to me if you would like with the information I provided, I am not really into this email thing.

Cou

Hello Cou,

As per site rules I am only permitted to have contact on this forum. That said, you are not going to find a specific law that says that a parenting plan terminates at age 18. The age of majority is 18. Once a person reaches the age of majority, they are free from parental control and can make their own decisions
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer