How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30382
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I went to an attorney together to file for divorce,

Customer Question

My husband and I went to an attorney together to file for divorce, The attorney said he could only represent one of us... I signed a disclaimer that I am aware the attorney is only representing my husband... My future x and I have agreed on everything already, We decided to share joint custody (i dont need child support) and split all the furnishings 50/50 and His retirement 50/50. My question is: I am having my x sign the house over to me and having him pay off our 2nd mortgage INSTEAD of spousal suppoert (basically I get the house instead of spousal). So should I get my own attorney considering I am not going to sign anything unless it is what we have already agreed upon (as stated above).
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. It would be in your best interests to have an attorney that is representing you. He can take a look at the agreement and make sure that there isn't any additional language in there that could affect your rights, or your ability to sue to enforce the agreement, or anything like that. He can also go over issues that you and your husband haven't discussed (and which, as a result, may be left out of the agreement). For example - who pays for your health insurance? For the kids? What about life insurance for each of you? Your attorney can make sure that all your bases are covered, which could help you avoid problems later.

Good luck.