Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can a non custodial parent petition the custodial parent for

Customer Question
child support? A standard...
Can a non custodial parent petition the custodial parent for child support? A standard custody arrangement is in place (alternate weekend visitation)
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Cedric, Family Law Attorney replied 7 years ago
Cedric
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Yes, you can still petition the custodial parent for child support, since child support payments are also based on each spouse's relative income in addition to who has primary custody.

However, it's unlikely that the non-custodial parent would be successful in receiving child support from the custodial parent, especially if the non-custodial parent only sees the child every other weekend.
Cedric
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Cedric
Cedric
Cedric, Family Law Attorney