How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to get sole custody without parental notification

Resolved Question:

Is there a way to get sole custody without parental notification in cases of physical abuse? Or is there a way for a man to surrender his parental rights in California? A friend is in an abuse relationship and wants to leave but does not want to be pulled back into the situation if she leaves the state because of a custody issue.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

Hello there:


on a temporary, emergency basis, sole custody can be awarded without notification. This can be accomplished either through a domestic violence restraining order or an "ex parte" (emergency) order from the family law courthouse. In the long-term, however, the other parent has a right to be noticed and to have a hearing.

Brandon M. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions