lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

In 1998 my mother had some type of paperwork drawn up on the

In 1998 my mother had some type of paperwork drawn up on the house she owns which led me to believe that after signing it my sister and I owned it with the stipulation that while she was alive if she wanted to she could live in it. I believe it was called a living trust? she has recently entered a nursing home. It has been put to me that this house would need to be sold and the proceeds given to the nursing home before she can draw medicaid to pay for her care. What gives I thought the house belonged to my sister and I way back in 1998.
It depends on whether a deed was actually drawn up and recorded at the county courthouse or not. There is a difference a deed with a life estate and a living trust. You would need to check the deed to see which it is. You can usually look it up online at the county website.