How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Representation of Clients in Family Courts for Criminal and Civil Matters for several years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find out if my child still attends college , since

Customer Question

How do I find out if my child still attends college?, since I am still paying child support because of that. I have no contact with them, and schools won,t give me that information.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.

You aren't required to pay child support if your child is now in college. In Massachusetts you are only required to pay for child support to children over the age of 18 if they are still enrolled in high school. If they have graduated high school, you are no longer responsible to make any child support payments.


See this link for more information

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Did not answer the question that I asked. I am currently paying child support because my child is supposed to be attending college. In my divorce it states that if a child attends college support can contiue till the age of 23.My question is, How do I find out if my child is attending college. In the past I have tried contacting Mass. D.O.R.,the college, and the custodial parent, and my children.It seems that I would have to take legal action to get anywhere. Where as the cust. parent only had to apply for extention of child support through D.O.R.,(not have to go through the court). They will not do anything for me to verify that my son is actually going to an accredited college as per the divorce agreement.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

I am family law practitioner. You are correct that child support can continue to age 23 in Massachusetts (Mass. Gen. Laws Ch. 208, sec. 28). There are a few options to obtain the information, but the best route will depend on what the other parent knows. May we assume that the other parent would know where the child is attending college (if the child is attending college)?

Edited by B. T. Mayer on 4/15/2010 at 5:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have already stated that I have not gotten any information from the custodial parent,or the school where he may be attending (privacy issue) even though I am his biological father who pays the child support. I would think that I would have the right to these records without having to get a court order. My ex wife has estranged my children from me, I have no contact with them. The last I heard from my ex was when she wrote to me asking for 1/2 of the college tuition for my son. I replied and asked for the college transcript to prove he was in college before I just gave her money.She said that she didn't want to involve the court this time. And I never heard from her again, that was over a year ago.That raised my suspision as to if my son was actually going to college.Meanwhile I am still paying $500 a month for support.

The child support should end if he never attended or dropped out. But there is no way of me knowing this.The state does not keep track of this. So it still goes back to my original question, which has not been answered.

Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
You need to be provided with proof that your child is still in school in order to be responsible for paying any child support after the age of 18. If nothing has been filed with the court, requesting an extension due to your child still being in school, then you are not responsible for paying any additional child support.

Related Family Law Questions