How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118753
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My SO and I have been together 4 years. He has two children

Customer Question

My SO and I have been together 4 years. He has two children (9, 11) with his ex-wife. She has primary physical custody. She sends us both confrontational, combative harrassing emails. They are filled with manipulation, bullying, slander and intimidation tactics. He and I have both asked her not to email me directly, but she directly refuses to comply. I have severe anxiety attacks when I see an email arrive from her. I was prescribed anti-depressants due to this last year. Physical anxiety symptoms have affected my work at times. I try to ignore her because she does not "accept" explainations or clarifications, and generally manipulates any defense to her attacks. She has not threatened bodily harm, so i don't feel I have grounds for a restraining order. I'm also afraid if I send a harassment C&D letter, she will reciprocate with a C&D against me toward the kids...even though her accusations are completely false. I live in Atlanta, GA. Please help...?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If you and your SO have both asked her to stop sending you emails and she has refused, then sending a cease and desist letter will not really help. You have two options, if the emails really are threatening and intimidating and serve no purpose other than to annoy or harass you (since she has no grounds to contact you only the father) then you can report this to the local police for harassing electronic communications. Your next option is to go to court and obtain a restraining order against her to prohibit contact based upon the harassment and the local clerk of court has forms for you to fill out and file to do that.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”