How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FLACORPLAWYER Your Own Question
FLACORPLAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4634
Experience:  23 Years as attorney, licensed NY and FL. Former US ATTY.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FLACORPLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex and I have guardianship of my great niece. He has recently

Customer Question

my ex and I have guardianship of my great niece. He has recently moved in with someone else and does not want to help pay bills. I am 58 and can't work or receive any help except for families first and food stamps. My question is can I sue him for child support?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FLACORPLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
No. He is not the parent of the child and the order of guardianship does not require either of you to support the child if you cannot. (Although please read the order of guardianship, if it does then it takes precenence over the general rule).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do you mean the guardianship papers take presidence?
Expert:  FLACORPLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
If the order of guardianship states that you have an obligation to support the child financially, then he has to do so.