How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have guardianship of 16 yr old placed by DCFS with us at age

Customer Question

Have guardianship of 16 yr old placed by DCFS with us at age 5. She wants to live with birth father. Birth father voluntarily gave over guardianship to protect her from abusive mother he was divorced from. He was truck driver gone 3-6 weeks at a time. Should he seek to recind guardianship or could she apply for emancipation (she qualifies for it)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

The father needs to file a petition with the court to terminate the guardianship order. In the alternative, his daughter would need to seek emancipation of she does in fact qualify for that.

In either case, the court will need to find that it is in the best interests of the child. If there is any question whether she would be emancipated under the law (usually the child must be self supporting and not living with a guardian or parent), then the petition to terminate guardianship and an order of temporary custody would be appropriate.

The state and local bar associations can provide the father with attorney referrals.

Please let me know if you need clarification by pressing the "Reply" button. If you press "Relist", I will not be notified that you have requested my assistance.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G


Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered/clarified your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is strongly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you receive if it is not favorable to your situation. We work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since we have no control over the development of the law, we ask you not to hold that against us. We continue to be dedicated in providing you with professional, courteous, and prompt service.

Related Family Law Questions