How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a mental break down during which time my husband

Customer Question

I went through a mental break down during which time my husband filed for divorce, and also I signed over the house and all things legally important. I am now stable and I am thinking things are not exactly right. When he first filed in the state of NC I talked to him, as we were visiting and still having marital relations whenever possible, and we came to an agreement that he would back off and I would take no action. I held up my end, he did not. Now I find myself divorced, no settlement out of it, he got everything because I was in an unnatural state, and the divorce is final. Do I have a recourse, or am I just screwed? Now he is wanting me to fill out a form signing over my ex-military benefits to retirement. Today I am in my right state of mind, so I said No. but there is so much that I did during that time, that made this completely unfair. Do I have any recourse. I live in Florida, and our marital home was in North Carolina
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Yes you do have recourse-- you will have to hire an attorney and challenge the divorce settlement agreement because you were mentally incompetent at the time he asked you to enter into the agreements. WIth your record of hospitalizations and medical treatments, that should not be hard to prove and the agreement can be set aside and something fairer to you can be negotiated. Do not give this man another thing until you speak with a lawyer in North Carolina (a florida lawyer will not be able to help you). THat lawyer will contact either him or his lawyer and tell him/his lawyer that you will be filing in court if they do not voluntarily come to some kind of an agreement.




Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time