How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEase Your Own Question
LegalEase, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Experience in handling divorces, custody issues and child support quandries.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalEase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the process of a seperation and we are unwed with a 4

Resolved Question:

Im in the process of a seperation and we are unwed with a 4 year old son. How is child support payments figured as the payments are for the support of the child and not the partner.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
New York uses the following method for determining child support:

17% for one child of your adjusted gross income (your gross income minus deductions for social security, medicare tax, etc. - you can find this amount on your last tax return) + half of the child care, medical, and educational expenses, or however much of the child car, medical, etc the judge orders you to pay. If taking that much of your income puts you at or below the federal poverty level guidelines, it can be grounds for lowering the level.
LegalEase and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions