How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i currently live in North Carolina where I moved from Texas.

Resolved Question:

i currently live in North Carolina where I moved from Texas. I have decided to go back, my father has told my 13 year old son and me in a round about way that I am not going any where at least not with my kids. What can i do or can he stop me from leaving?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Unless your father has a custody order for the child he has no ability to stop you from leaving. Even with a custody order, you can petition the court for permission to relocate back to Texas with the child. The court that granted the grandparent visitation would be where any petition for relocation would need to be filed.


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you