How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and I are military - we are currently living in

Resolved Question:

my husband and I are military - we are currently living in Thailand -we have 4 children that he has custody of - we are legally seperated - our hearing took place in washington state this past fall. Per the seperation agreement we are scheduled to divorce next year once he makes his 20 year service anniversary.
I would like to establish residency in my home state of Alabama and have the seperation agreement contested (if possible)-
Can I establish residency in Alabama? If so what do I need to do so ? If I do can I file a motion or something to have the proceedings moved to Alabama and challenge what is in place now?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Since the current proceedings are in Washington that is where they are going to have to stay, at least for the time being. Once the children return to the states and reside in one state for at least six months the case can be transferred there unless one parent is living in Washington.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you