Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

can I adopt an infant from a cople in India, without using

Customer Question
can I adopt an infant...
can I adopt an infant from a cople in India, without using an agency, and just obtain an adoption attorney?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

You can, but it would be very complicated. Do you want the step by step?

Yes, I would love to know if this is a possibility. My husband and I and traveled to India a few years ago, and we were struck by all of the children in distress. I was on a website from India recently, and a couple had a posting that they were pregnant, and could not keep their baby, due to financial circustances, we have e-mailed, and they have given me a phone number, but I have not called, because I am fearful that this could be shady. We have gon through IVF for 4 years, and we would love to share our home with a child who really needs a great start in life, we also thought an India family could benefit directly from the money, instad of an agency. Please share your expertise. Thank you.
I have to log off for about one hour, I will come back and give you a thorough explanation and legal status for both country of origin and US adoption ;)
Sorry, I'm running into some PC trouble. If you would be so kind as to give me 12 or so hours, I will have your answer :)
There are two hoops that you have to jump through here:INDIAN LEGAL SYSTEMI highly advise using an Indian attorney to secure the right to take the child out of the country as well as to sign the contact between the mother and yourselves as to the child. This is something you are just GOING to have to do.US IMMIGRATIONI was going to do a step by step but low and behold, USCIS already beat me to it. Go here for a very concise, step by step, with examples and petitions needs to file:http://adoption.state.gov/country/india.html

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law