How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JaxLawyer Your Own Question
JaxLawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  I have been practicing family law for eight years in several states.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JaxLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file a motion for a default judgment in a domestic case

This answer was rated:

Can I file a motion for a default judgment in a domestic case in Superior Court in GA? 45 days have passed and the defendant has not filed a response.

Let me know if you need more information.

What is the domestic case? Divorce, child custody, child support?


Did you ask for alimony or child support?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, GA has jurisdiction for child custody, NV has jurisdiction for support. Divorce was in 1997. Recent motion to GA court was for 2 things: adjusting visitation to meet request of14 yr-old minor, and to have court incorporate the NV marital settlement agreement of the parties with respect to payment of transportation costs.

Yes, you can make a motion for a default judgment in your favor. Just be prepared to give the court proof or assurances that the other party was provided a copy of the Georgia motion.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. No problem with proof since we had service performed. I was concerned since some jurisdictions do not seem to accept defaults with respect to family matters and I noted that default judgment was conspicuously absent from the GA court domestic case disposition form.

It is difficult to enter a default in domestic cases because they often involve child support or alimony, which cannot be decided by default because it requires financial disclosures by both parties and if one party hasn't responded then they obviously haven't provided financial disclosures. But if the action does not involve a monetary judgment, a default shouldn't be a problem.


** If my answer has been helpful, please click on the green Accept button. I do not get paid until you Accept my answer.

JaxLawyer and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you