Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my husband and I are finally divorced. He is a narrcissit

Customer Question
my husband and I are...
my husband and I are finally divorced. He is a narrcissit and was emotionally and finally physically volient. The children witnessed several of the beatings. he is a alcholic.
the courts still insist he has his rights to see them although my daughter especially does not want to see him as he verbally abuses her, leaves she and her brother alone while he goes out drinking in even when they are out of town. she is 12 and he is 9. She has recouring dreams that he comes to the house to kill us and the neighbors are blind and dumb. How can we get legal help. I am broke because of this and my parents have paid many of the bills, and they are close to banruptcy because of this. And he won't pay child support!
Help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2010
Family Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Please clarify:
What is your question?

Thanks!

Is there any recourse or are we stuck? will the courts protect the kids or are we fighting a loosing battle? why does he have legal standing when he is dangerous? been in jail for beatings?

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Typically, the courts focus on the best interests of the children. You may have grounds ti appeal, though it's necessary to take prompt action, as appeals must typically be filed within a very short period after a final order is entered.

As I'm not familiar with the details of your matter, there's no way I can tell you exactly why things have turned out the way they did. It sounds as though the law may have been improperly applied to the matter, as the court is supposed to handle custody and visitation matters in the best interests of the children. If the father is dangerous and has a history of domestic violence, the court should typically rule in your favor, provided you showed that history legitimately exists.

If you didn't have an attorney last time, you may find that you stand a better chance of succeeding if you retain an attorney. If you can't afford one, you may be eligible for legal aid from a local legal clinic. You may wish to call your county Clerk of Court's office to inquire about clinics that serve your area. The Clerk's office should be aware of the clinics, if any, that serve your area.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green
Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
http://www.lawyers.com or http://www.martindale.com.

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer