Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am on Social Security disability. The court has attached

my wages far in excess...
I am on Social Security disability. The court has attached my wages far in excess of their guidelines. Additionally, the child is eligible for benefits under my claim far exceeding my obligation but the custodial parent (mother) won't apply. As a result I have lost my health insurance and, because it was cal-cobra, I can't get it back. Is there any way to resolve this issue without going to court as I have serious mobility issues connected to my disability. Also is there any way to get my health insurance back after this is resolved.
3/1/2010
At this point your sole recourse is to get an order from the court ordering the custodial parent to apply for the social security dependent benefits. Once those benefits have been approved your child support payment would be reduced by the amount of those benefits. Unfortunately, this will not get you a credit for the past payments that should have been made except to the extent that Social Security awards the child back benefits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer