How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax and legal Implications of being a Power Of Attorney in

Customer Question

Tax and legal Implications of being a Power Of Attorney in someone else’s bank account

I am a Power of Attorney of my mother’s bank CD, savings and checking accounts for her security/convenience benefit. She is a +70-year old senior. In spite of the fact that I am neither the account holder nor the beneficiary of her accounts, I would like to make sure that her accounts/funds would not be affected should I have any legal and/or liability related issue in the future. I own a rental property that might get into foreclosure in the near future and the bank might proceed against me or the like. In any case, I would like to rest assure that my condition of Power of Attorney would not derive to legal and/or tax implications to her funds should I have any unwelcome debt circumstances in the future, as she should not be anyhow responsible for any financial issue I might personally have. I just don’t want her to be affected by any financial/debt problem I might need to deal with.

Also, as a POA would I be subject to any income tax based on her interest gain if any?

Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Your bank has informed you correctly, you have no liability for taxes on those accounts and those accounts simply are not yours and cannot be attached by any of your creditors. However, if you stand to inherit them, your best recourse now rather than later is to perhaps set up a trust for the funds. The reason I suggest an irrevocable trust, especially if your mom is currently healthy and not in need of long term care at this time is because in the event long term care is required, Medicaid and the care facility will insist on the depletion of all of those funds for her care before she can get assistance. Additionally, if the money is not in trust, in the event of her death if you are the heir to the money/property, any creditor who has a judgment against you could seize that money/property upon your inheritance and as long as it is in an irrevocable trust they could not touch it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Attorney PaulMJD,


Once again, you have provided me with a good and clear answer. I very much appreciate your help and look forward to your help again in the future should I have any other questions through Just Answer.


Sincerely, Customer/p>

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.