How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 2006. I was orderd to pay $1600 alimony

Resolved Question:

I was divorced in 2006. I was orderd to pay $1600 alimony on a monthly basis until I reach age 65. I have been layed off from my job, and since I am 62 I can retire if I do not get another job. How can I get relief from this payment?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist. Was the court that ordered this alimony a FL court?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it was Orange county Florida
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.

You can change your alimony (reduce or perhaps eliminate it) if you can show a substantial change in circumstances.

Take a look here

This is the form the court uses. If your income has decreased significantly, there is a very good chance you can get your alimony obligation reduced.

Now, you need to file the above form with the you need to hire a local attorney to file the case...but I suspect that you can recoup that cost over the time based on the decrease in money you will have to pay each month if you get the court to modify

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.
P. Simmons and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you