How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is for Texas family law. I went to mediation about a year

This answer was rated:

This is for Texas family law. I went to mediation about a year ago. My son's mom and I have been discussing the time frame that I would get my son to fly to see me for spring break. We discussed when I would get his flight for and that is on the 12th of this month. I purchased a round trip ticket for $697. I over looked that part of the order that states I need to send her the flight information two weeks before. So, she wants to use that against me: the order stats:

Notice of Place and Time of Possession - IT IS ORDERED that, if non-custodial desires to take possession of the child at an airport near non-custodial residence, non-custodial shall state these facts, in a notice letter two weeks prior to the date of departure, to Ruby L. Glenn:
(a) the airport where Ruby L. Glenn is to surrender the child;
(b) the date and time of the flight on which the child is scheduled to leave;

What are my rights at this point? Can she keep him from traveling to see me now?
Legally, she is right. She can demand compliance of the court orders as stated. Both parties are bound to the terms as ordered by the court. Any changes contrary to the court order would require that you petition the court for authorization. As to your rights you would have to petition the court for authorization but given the time, the court hearing would probably take place after the scheduled trip. In which case, it would be better to change the flight schedule to provide the appropriate notice. I know this is not what you want to hear but legally the court orders need to be complied with. If she were to violate the court orders then you would have the right to file a contempt action to enforce your rights, but at the present moment she is not violating the orders.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions