How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help my exwife has tried to commit sucide 3 times in

Customer Question

I need help my exwife has tried to commit sucide 3 times in the last year and has been in and out of the hostipal apox 20 tiomes in the last month my 3 children are dropped off were ever she acn she never tells me my kids came over for the first time in a month this is what they tell me she is in the hostipal again what can i do
please help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

So sorry to hear of your situation. You can consider filing for modification of your custody agreement/parenting plan. All matters involving child custody are determined according to the best interests of the children and are subject to modification based upon the children's best interest. It is not in your children's best interests to reside with a suicidal mother
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i think when she gets out of the hostipal she will run out of state with the kids she has done this before the police tell me it's a civial matter
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You may consider obtaining a temporary restraining order (TRO) on behalf of your children based on fear of physical harm to them.Based on your post there is little doubt that the children may be in danger. you can then follow this up with your modification petition

You will need to go to the local courthouse to obtain the TRO. The clerk will give you the forms and assist you. The judge will immediately sign the TRO if the forms on their face appear that you are in reasonable fear of harm

The filing fee for the TRO may be waived based on need. The sheriff will serve your former spouse promptly after the judge signs the orders. After service, if she contacts the children, you may have her arrested.

There will be a hearing at a later date to extend the TRO.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,