How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im kinda lost at this... this is the situation im in the military

Resolved Question:

Im kinda lost at this... this is the situation im in the military currently in Afghanistan my wife of 10 years is filing for divorce i have 5 kids with her and im the sole bread winner aside from getting a lawyer how do i help my chances of getting physical custody of my children.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

While she may be able to get temporary custody since you are deployed, your attorney would need to show that it is in the children's best interests for you to have primary physical and legal custody of the children upon your return.

The attorney may even be able to delay the proceedings until you return, which would give you a better chance of getting custody.

In CA, here are the types of custody that can be granted as well as the factors courts must consider in determining who should be granted custody:

Please let me know if you need clarification by pressing the "Reply" button. If you press "Relist", I will not be notified that you have requested my assistance. .

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G


Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered/clarified your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is highly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. Please remember that I cannot know what you know unless you tell me. There may be important factors that are relevant to your question that I am not aware of in your specific situation, but I will always do my best to be professional, courteous, and prompt.

Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
There is also the service members civil relief act to delay the process until you return from deployment. Look for a family law attorney with military law experience.

All the best to you.
Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you