How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30179
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and i have a 13yr old daughter, he had an affair

Customer Question

my husband and i have a 13yr old daughter, he had an affair and without my knowledge failed to pay mortgage causing foreclosure and auction of our home. i was not aware of this until the eviction notice was served. i am seeking temporary custody,child and alimony support until i am able to file for divorce in florida i have only been a resident in florida for 3 wks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Sabrina,

Thank you for using Just Answer. I would be happy to answer your questions for you. It looks like your question may have gotten cut off - are you wondering how to go about seeking custody, alimony and child support? What state did you and your husband live in before? Also, where is your daughter currently living?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes, I am seeking custody, alimony and child support..My husband and I resided in Va, my daughter and I are living in FL, we been here for 3weeks...My husband was having an affair and stop paying the mortgage, house was foreclosed and sold at auction on Jan 20, 2010...I found out all of this on Jan 27, 2010..had no idea my husband was not paying the mortg..I received two 5 day certified notice to vacate the home, that is why my daughter and I are here in FL with my family..I learned on my way here to FL that my way here to Florida from my 13yr old daughter that my husband was havng an affair for several months and that it why he was not paying the mortg. I NEED HELP


Thank you,

Sabrina Larrimore

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for that information. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time.

Since you are seeking child support and alimony, you would want to file for divorce in the Virginia courts, because that is where you and your husband lived as man and wife. A Florida court wouldn't have jurisdiction to order him to pay you child support. Luckily, most courts allow you to file paperwork by mail. The Virginia court has many of the forms you need online, including the Child Support Guidelines form with instructions. To find out whether the court will accept the paperwork by mail, just call the Civil Clerk at the Family Court for the county in which you lived.

This site should prove very helpful. Among other things, it will tell you how to fill out the forms and whether you qualify for Court-Appointed Counsel. Since you are out-of-state, it would be very helpful to have a VA attorney. Good luck.