Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

HI there- we have a 17 year old who wont follow rules, is

Customer Question
HI there- we have a...
HI there- we have a 17 year old who won't follow rules, is disrespectful, gets contantly in trouble and has caused enough emotional stress and anxiety in the household. We have another child who is autistic and 8 years old. We are considering moving the teenager to a friends house paying her room, food and support until she finishes highschool (3 months from now). She will turn 18 in October and we are currently in March -- school finishes in June. What is our exposure if we move her out of the house before she finishes highschool? are we supposed to care for her until 18 or when she is done with highschool? We are currently in California .. pls advise
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Roger, Attorney

In California, the age of majority is 18 years except an unmarried child who has attained the age of 18 years, is a full-time high school student, and who is not self-supporting, is considered a minor until the time the child completes the 12th grade or attains the age of 19 years, whichever occurs first.

The parents or legal guardians of the child are responsible for the child until that age is reached. This includes providing the essentials - clothes, food etc. - plus financial support.

If you allow her to live with someone else, you're still responsible for the child.

Ok yes we are fine with the legal guardian part but are we liable in any way if we allow her to live with someone else? Again we will still provide for her, food, clothes, medical etc .. we just want her out of the house to avoid further conflict.

So even when she finishes highschool in June we are still responsible for her until she turns 18 in October right? or only when she is done with highschool? we are not sure what she will do as of today she doesn't want to do anything - helping with chores, school barely, not qualifying for college so she might try junior college, but she is not really responsible or engage in anything at all .. only trouble unfortunately

Yes, you are still legally responsible for her even if she is living with someone else. You are liable if she doesn't go to school, gets in trouble, etc.

Yes, you're responsible for her until age 18.

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney