How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting a divorce and my husbsand is trying to get custodt

Customer Question

I am getting a divorce and my husbsand is trying to get custodt of my child. He filed for motion for issuance of rule NISI. What does that mean and do I have to prove him unfit to keep custody of my child?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Generally, a rule nisi is an order “to show cause” , meaning that the ruling is absolute unless the party to whom it applies can show cause why it should not apply. In divorce cases, a rule nisi is issued by the court to tell the parties that they have to wait a certain period of time before making their divorce final. This is to allow time for anyone who objects to the divorce to tell the court why they object. The rule nisi can often be set aside with mutual consent of the spouses. When the period expires, they can apply for the "decree absolute", which means the divorce is completed and the partners are no longer married. it is also called a decree nisi. Some states grant divorces using decrees nisi.