How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to change my last name to my husbands last name

Customer Question

I would like to change my last name to my husband's last name as a 10-year wedding anniversary gift to him. As it's been so long since we were married, would I need a court order to change my name at this point? Or, could I just do what newlywed women do and register my new name with the DMV and SSA, etc?

Submitted: 7 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
The answer depends on the local requirements of the agencies you wish to change your name. For DMV and SSA, they may change it without the need of a court order as the prior common practice was to permit the name changes by your continual use of his surname. Again the key word is they may change it without a court order, you will need to ask them as each jurisdiction has their own preferences. However if the goal is to change the marriage certificate, then you will require a court order name change.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.