How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37836
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a friend who is pregnant and cant afford to keep her

Resolved Question:

We have a friend who is pregnant and can't afford to keep her child. She would like us to raise it. We would raise it with her involvement and when old enough give her the chance to live with her if she wanted. We just want to provide the child with a good home while she is recovering and trying to get on her feet. What are our options in West Virginia?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

If you are talking about returning the child to mother at some point in time, then adoption would not be the best option for you. The courts look at adoption as a permanent solution and not something that would be done for a little while and then undone. The better option would be for mother to transfer voluntary guardianship to you through the court system. This would give you the legal right to make all decisions for the child's health and care, but would stop just short of making the child legally your son or daughter.

You would need to file a petition for guardianship with the court and, assuming the mother is in agreement, this is a fairly simple process. The court will order social services to investigate to ensure that you can provide a suitable home and then file a report. Assuming everything goes ok, the court will sign off on the guardianship petition and you would assume that legal role for the child.

At some point in time in the future if everyone agrees the mother can care for the child, you then make a motion to the court to terminate the guardianship and restore the child to the mother.


I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but sometimes the answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given answered your question PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you