How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi - In 2006 my exwife took me to court for an increase in

Customer Question

Hi - In 2006 my exwife took me to court for an increase in child support. The original amount was deducted from my paycheck, the additional amount I paid to her directly. The attorney general showed that I was in arrears. I have since provided all checks showing the amounts that I paid and have signed an affidavit. The AG and I have tried to get my exwife to sign the affidavit and she will not. Now it appears the AG's office is going to take her to court. My question is: I was told that the overpayment will come off the back end of my child support. Is this fact or is it possible to get this money back?

Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

What specific overpayment are you speaking of? Did the AG's office also take the additional amount from your paycheck, resulting in an overpayment to your ex?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I see now that I was not very clear. Since the AG's office showed I was in arrears, they started deducting extra from my payroll. So not only was I paying my court ordered amount, I was paying additional to "catch me up" plus interest. Also I just received notice from the Dept. of Treasury that my tax refund was sent to the AG's office. I was told that they cannot update my account until they receive the signed affidavit from my ex and like I mentioned earlier, we have not been able to get her to sign so the AG's office is going to take her to court.



Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
§Good morning Nathan,

Wow, your ex has certainly taken advantage of the situation. I'm sorry to hear that.

There is specific statute applicable to your situation in Texas:

Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 154.012, §154.014.

Section 154.014 applies to excess payments made to child support agencies. It provides that the agency is required to apply the overpayment based upon the expressed intent of the obligor. If the obligor does not express an intent, the statute requires the agency to apply the overpayment as a credit against the obligor's future child support obligation. Section 154.012 provides that an obligor may recover excess child support payments from the obligee after the child support obligation has ended.

Given that it was not your clear intent to make a gift of the overpayment to your ex---and this is clear to the AG's Office as well, your ex is not entitled to keep the money.

However, the problem you are running up on is that the code merely directs that the AG's Office must apply the overage to the your future child support obligations. It does not mandate at what point the AG's Office do this. So, the AG's Office is withing their right to credit it to the back end of the support obligation. However, they do also have the legal right to credit it at an earlier time.

Here is the code language:

§ 154.014. PAYMENTS IN EXCESS OF COURT-ORDERED AMOUNT. (a) If a child support agency or local child support registry receives from an obligor who is not in arrears a child support payment in an amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry, to the extent possible, shall give effect to any expressed intent of the obligor for the application of the amount that exceeds the court-ordered amount. (b) If the obligor does not express an intent for the application of the amount paid in excess of the court-ordered amount, the agency or registry shall: (1) credit the excess amount to the obligor's future child support obligation; and (2) promptly disburse the excess amount to the obligee. (c) This section does not apply to an obligee who is a recipient of public assistance under Chapter 31, Human Resources Code. Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1491, § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2002. Renumbered from V.T.C.A., Family Code § 154.013 by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1275, § 2(52), eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

If by the time your child support obligation ends, because of the emancipation of your child, or for any other reason, should there be outstanding over payments remaining, you may file suit against your ex for the over payments and under that circumstance you may recover not only the overpayment remaining but also attorneys fees and costs.

Here is this specific code section:

§ 154.012. SUPPORT PAID IN EXCESS OF SUPPORT ORDER. (a) If an obligor is not in arrears and the obligor's child support obligation has terminated, the obligee shall return to the obligor a child support payment made by the obligor that exceeds the amount of support ordered, regardless of whether the payment was made before, on, or after the date the child support obligation terminated. (b) An obligor may file a suit to recover a child support payment under Subsection (a). If the court finds that the obligee failed to return a child support payment under Subsection (a), the court shall order the obligee to pay to the obligor attorney's fees and all court costs in addition to the amount of support paid after the date the child support order terminated. For good cause shown, the court may waive the requirement that the obligee pay attorney's fees and costs if the court states the reasons supporting that finding. Added by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 363, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1023, § 5, eff. Sept. 1, 2001. Text of section as added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1023, § 6

I'm afraid that there is no way to force the immediate recovery of the overpayment from your ex, nor a way in which to force the AG's Office to credit it earlier as opposed to later in your obligation. I wish I could provide a way for you to force her to disgorge the fraudulently obtained support earlier, but the Texas code is clear as to how the recovery of over payments may be effected.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the orange Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,



LawTalk and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


Thank you so much. You have shed some light on my situation and I more clear on how to proceed. I appreciate it so much.



Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
My pleasure, Nathan. Thank you.