Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

i paid my alimony late, 18 months to be exact. the entire

Customer Question
i paid my alimony late...
i paid my alimony late, 18 months to be exact. the entire amount has now been dispursed in bulk. what late fees or interest will i be liable for, if any. my hearing for contempt is on tuesday the 2nd. i see online where the payment has gone out to the ex spouse and the clerk of the court when called, says there is zero balance due and the case is current.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Congrats on making the payment. It is very unlikely you'll be held to anything more than 5.25%, but that's about it.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
what about the ex spouse bills that went unpaid, mortgage for instance, she is in foreclosure. she claims to be disabled but receives no payments from social security or workers comp. she is fully capable of working and intentionally allowed her realtors license expire in order to be out of work. i am in foreclosure myself, but realize the court will only pity the ex.
You will only be made to pay 1/2 of whatever bills were incurred by you not paying the child support, like bills for after school programs, etc. She can't just throw all her financial weight on you - the Judge is smarter than that.

ok, but the child support was current. only the alimony was late. what then?
Oh, then only some charges for late rent that she might've had, etc. Now her attorney will try to press all, and you need to be vigilant and argue that you're not responsible for all of her lifestyle.
Ely, Counselor at Law

the ex spouse is in foreclosure, has a live in signifigant other, who apparently resides for free. the ex was arrested in 2004 for possesion and intent to distribute crystal meth, arrested again in 2006 for trying to pass bad checks or something to that effect. she wears the all the disablity trinkets, wrist brace, knee brace, walks with a cane, etc... i am beginning to worry. alimony is support, but not to a persons sole source of income, she should be responsible for her own debts regardless. she is represented by the state attorney and DOR.

That's EXACTLY what you need to tell the Judge. Word per word. That was nice.
Ely, Counselor at Law