How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102143
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter who is 17 wants to move in with me and my family.

This answer was rated:

My daughter who is 17 wants to move in with me and my family. Her mother says she can go. What do I do as far as the courts and child support? My daughters new school wants documents of custodial rights. I cant seem to find them. How do I find this information?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

What are the custody orders? Who pays child support? Is this all via court order or informal?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pay child support. I have weekend visitation. All by court order.
So now you want to "switch" it around, so to speak, right, and want to reflect that in Court record, right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that's correct. My daughter and her mother are not seeing eye to eye.
Just want to stop my paying support and have the proper paper work for her new school. Dont even want to seek support from her mother.
Excellent. What you have to do is file a Joint Motion for Modification. It's quite simple. Both of you should sign off on it, but only one really needs to show up at court for it. Go to or for the motion. File. Call the court and ask if you can come earlier and be heard on the "uncontested docket" - some courts hear uncontested cases such as a name change or an agreed divorce early in the morning or perhaps one day a week. Check with the court's coordinator/clerk. Go in to prove up. This means that once your name is XXXXX XXXXX must approach the bench and tell the judge what you are asking of the court. "Proving up" something means verbally asking the court for legal relief, on the record. Yes, you will likely be audiotaped. The process is easy - simply follow the format of your petition (make sure to have a copy with you). For example, begin with "Your Honor, my full name is XXXXX XXXXX am here today requesting a name. My permanent residence is ____. The reason for my request is ____. Just read down your petition. The Judge may interrupt you to confirm a fact or ask a question. Assuming everything goes according to plan, the Judge will then sign the Order. Case closed. Next case....

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions