Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband committed an adultery. Both of us do not have enough

Customer Question

My husband committed an adultery. Both of us do not have enough money for a divorce. We have a n agreement that he will remit me money every two weeks and he also wrote post dated checks for one year and 2 months before the year ends he will write post dated checks again for a year. We went to the Notary Public to make it legal. Somehow the first check can not be cashed because he did not work. Now he has been avoiding me. I have large amount of mortgage payment, bills he accumulate before he left. We have the agreement notarized in Pennsylvania because we reside in Pa. But both of us work in New Jersey. I still reside in Pennsylvania and he moved in New Jersey. How and what state can I apply to have his salary garnish. Where to get a form. How do I go about it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Because there is no court order, you would first have to file a suit against him for breach of contract (which is what this is) before you could get any garnishment. The fact you are not divorced or even legally separated is another problem. Since you cannot get a garnishment without a court order, you can go to legal aid in PA and seek their assistance in pursuing the divorce and also call the PA state bar and ask them for the names of some pro bono attorneys in your area that would assist you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”