How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12216
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying maintenance monthly for 8 years and still

Resolved Question:

I have been paying maintenance monthly for 8 years and still doing so. But my ex-wife obtained a court order for the maintenance to be increased which I cannot afford. What are the consequences of failing to pay. I am self employed and I am a permanent residence and have lived in the USA since 2008.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you fail to pay your ex, then you’ll be in contempt of court and you’ll likely end up getting garnished, your bank accounts could be levied, she could get a lien on your property, etc. You’ll also need to explain to the judge why you failed to follow his order. If you truly can’t afford it, then you should attempt to have the maintenance reduced by filing a motion for modification, and providing a list of your expenses that justify the modification.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

TJ, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you