How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a parent committs numerous felony crimes (84 counts of embezzelment,

Customer Question

If a parent committs numerous felony crimes (84 counts of embezzelment, forgery, and internet crime--grandparent name was forged on company checks) and jeopardizes the family and then terminates grandparents rights (Colorado) can the grandparent fight for visitation?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately grandparents have few rights over the objection of their own child. Fortunately they will soon be old enough to do what they wish. Sorry for your problem and I wish I had a better option for you. Until he relents there is little that you can do legally. You can file for visitation but it will be costly and my best guess at your chance of success is 25% but I do not know all the circumstances
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, This really doesn't tell me much. Are you saying even with crimes that there is nothing to be gained in going after grandparents rights? What is the age a child can make their own decision on seeing family members? The forgeries were with my name at a Foundation on the Foundation bank account. I cannot use this to report to social services tthe purposeful intent to jeopardize the children?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The crimes and the grandparents rights are two different issues and it is your child that is preventing the contact. At 18 they are considered an adult. CPS is only interested in actual physical neglect or abuse. They will be of no assistance to you in this situation. I do sympathize with your situation but there is not a legal answer to every family porblem. Sorry.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The age of consent in Colorado is 17. Wouldn't the 17 year old be able to decide to communicate-see her Grandmother?

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The age of consent and the age of majority are two different legal concepts. However it is hard to prevent a 17 year old from doing what they want.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.