How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am due to have a babygirl in 11 days and her father is in

This answer was rated:

I am due to have a babygirl in 11 days and her father is in jail at thenmoment for gross sexual assault to a minor under the age of 14 (his step daughter) and also gross sexual misconduct.........I did not find out this out untill a few months ago. I will put his name on the birth cerfificate because I do not want to deny my daughter the right to know him some day if she choses but I will also go for sole costody and do not want him apart of her life. What advise do you have and does he have rights to her with charges like this?

Dear JAGUEST-27084537 - As the father of your child he will have parental rights however those may be limited by the court based on his past record. There is no question that you will have custody and if he wants visitation he can apply through the courts and you would have the right to object or to at least request only supervised visitation.


He will also be responsible for child support until your child becomes and adult. Until he files for his parental rights he will have no power to do anything. Even if you don't put his name on the BC he could still apply for parental rights so it really doesn't matter unless you want to seek child support now.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I just put his name on the BC without him being there?
You can put any name on it or leave it blank as far as I know. - Dave