How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawmoe Your Own Question
Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawmoe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to stop receiving child support from my daughters biological

This answer was rated:

I want to stop receiving child support from my daughter's biological father, and eventually petition to have him removed from the birth certificate and have my husband adopt my daughter. We haven't heard from him in over 8 years and he only pays $35 a week. We just want him out of our lives. Putting it mildly, he's not a nice person. So how do I stop getting child support?

First, you must file a Petition to terminate his parental rights. One of the basis for a termination is abandonment. He must be served with the petition or, if you look for him and cannot locate him, you may seek alternative service which is usually publication. Only after rights are terminated can you proceed with adoption.


Frankly, it is a much easier process if you locate the other parent and they agree to the termination and the step parent adoption.


Please click ACCEPT below

Lawmoe and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions