How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylaw Guru Your Own Question
Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylaw Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Husband is still married to his former wife. He claims bigamy

Resolved Question:

My Husband is still married to his former wife. He claims bigamy is accident-he says when he left california he and his spouse had their divorce paperwork completed by a lawyer-his wife acted as petetioner, and he acted as respondent. He then left the state, and his wife was to file all divorce paper work (his and hers) with the supurior court in victerville in san bernardino county. This took place in December 2005-January 2006. Because he was leaving state, he left the filing to his wife and said he sent her money to pay filing fee. He only ended up being gone for two weeks and then was back in California (same area) for two more years. He and former partner have minor child so they have talked and seen each other many times over the years-so issue is not due to lack of ability to talk.
Husband claims his fromer partner spent money for filing divorce papers on something else. What would happen if someone gave clerk their papres but did not pay fee? Does his story sound creable?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 7 years ago.
I'm so sorry to hear about the mess that you find yourself in. Typically if someone were to try to file papers without paying their filing fee the papers would be returned and the filing fee requested before they would be filed. I find it a bit hard to believe that the subject of "did you ever get those papers filed" never came up unless possibly the previous wife lied to him all this time about filing them. I don't know your husband or the other person involved so I can't tell you who if anyone is lying but I highly suggest that you find out who the lawyer is that he says drew up the papers. Lawyers are legally obligated to save records for a number of years, this lawyer should have some sort of record to back this up if it indeed is a true story.
Familylaw Guru and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you