How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylaw Guru Your Own Question
Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylaw Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 18 years old and has found herself pregnant.

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 18 years old and has found herself pregnant. she states she does not know who the father is and wants to give the baby her maternal grandfathers last name. Is this legal, or does she have to give the baby her last name?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 7 years ago.
Where are you located, what state?
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 7 years ago.
The short answer should you live in the United States is, yes this is entirely legal. You can give your child any last name you choose. She can just put unknown on the birth Cert for the father and then whatever it is she wants for the child's last name and it's done. I hope this helps. Please don't forget to accept as this is the only way we get credit for the work we do on Just Answer. Good luck and God bless.
Familylaw Guru and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you