How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawmoe Your Own Question
Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawmoe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister got married to a person in Nov,2006 who is Indian

This answer was rated:

My sister got married to a person in Nov,2006 who is Indian by nationality. He was working as post doc student on J1 visa from 2002 to 2007. After marriage he took my sister to US in Dec,2006.My sister came to know that the person had already living relationship with another girl she was cheated and they both(Her husband and his girlfriend) started torching her. She has put into much mental stress for almost one year and almost broke down and and kept on crying.. we could not help her as there was no one in US that time she could go for help.We started feeling insecure about the condition and called her up in December 2007 and from then onwards she is in India.Now that person is trying to get Green card by deserting her. He has come to India for the processing. Can he get green card by deserting her or what legal action can be taken against him to prevent him Green card ? what are the laws in US for such person who gets married in their home country and desert their wife?

He can seek a green card. He must only prove that the marriage relationship was not a sham and that the intention to marry was present when he did marry. In his interview, they will question the issue including how much contact occurred before the marriage. Unfortunately, there is little that you can do to prevent the process from moving forward.


I am truly sorry for your troubles.



Lawmoe and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you