How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31766
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lives in Michigan and is divorced with a 6 year

Resolved Question:

My daughter lives in Michigan and is divorced with a 6 year old son. Her ex husband and father of the boy lives in Colorado. He phones the boy intermittently, often not for months at a time. While his mother and other family members are very careful not to speak disparagingly of the absent father, the last time he phoned, the boy had no interest in talking. The father rarely works and has never paid a dime of court ordered child support. He has been verbally abusive during phone contacts. He is now so far behind on support that he faces an arrest warrent for felony non-support. He has offered to sign away his parental rights if no felony action is taken. Can that be done in Michigan?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you can file a petition to terminate parental rights with the family law court of the child's county of residence. If the father will sign a waiver of parental rights, you can file it with the court, and getting an order is simply a formality.


Giving up his parental rights does not take away his obligation to pay child support, though.


You should see a family law attorney in your area about getting this done.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you