How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31789
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does it work if a mother wants to give her child to a particular

Resolved Question:

How does it work if a mother wants to give her child to a particular family? Does it matter that one of the adoptive parents have a felony from many years ago?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

The prospective adopting parents simply need to file a petition to adopt this child. You, as the biological parent, can sign a joinder and waiver of process for the petition, showing the court that you don't oppose the prayer for adoption.


At that point, the court holds a hearing and decides whether it is in the child's best interest to be adopted.


The fact that one of the people has a felony conviction is certainly not going to help anything. But, if this occurred years ago and no further criminal activity has occurred, and if this was not an abuse or sex crime, it should not be a reason for the adoption not to go through.


My suggestion is to speak to a family law attorney in your area about this and he/she can assist in preparing and filing the petition, plus the court appearance.

Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you