How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away and left her house in Trust to the two

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away and left her house in Trust to the two brothers. One brother doesn't want the house just want to be bought out.
No one is on the house at this time If I was to be put on the house pay my brtoher is half do i get the WHOLE prop 13 advantage.

The most significant portion of the act is the first paragraph, which capped real estate taxes:

Section 1. (a) The maximum amount of any ad valorem tax on real property shall not exceed One percent (1%) of the full cash value of such property. The one percent (1%) tax to be collected by the counties and apportioned according to law to the districts within the counties.


How you acquire the property has nothing to do with the cash value, which is set by a county appraisal.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The answer did not answer the question about Do I get to keep the prop 13 for state of California if one brother does not want to be on the house.


thank You

It doesn't matter who owns the property. All that matters is the value of the property. If you are the only one on the house, you'll still get the assessment.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions