Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My daughter is 20 and just got married a couple of weeks ago,

Customer Question

My daughter is 20 and just got married a couple of weeks ago, they have a young son together, she had custody. The relationship is not going very well, what can she do to get out of it.

Thanks, John
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Is your daughter already considering divorce or separation? Is there abuse?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there isn't abuse, she just made a mistake my getting married

Thank you for your follow-up.

What your daughter can do is consider filing a petition for legal separation or file for a dissolution of marriage on the grounds that it is a"irretrievably broken". The first option does not end the marriage but only separates the parties. The second option does end in divorce. Under that options both parties agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken in order for one spouse to file for a divorce. The court will enter orders for parenting arrangements, how the child will be supported, dividing the couple’s property and debts, and possibly for spousal support (alimony) although in a very short term marriage, that is unlikely. It is also unlikely that your daughter will be able to request an annulment (or as they are called in Washington, a decree of invalidity) unless some sort of legal defect made the ceremony or process itself void.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/1/2010 at 8:13 PM EST