How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife of 20 years is leaving me, moving to Georgia from our

Resolved Question:

My wife of 20 years is leaving me, moving to Georgia from our home in Florida and filing for divorce. Our only assets are 2 houses which are both upside-down in value and in foreclosure, no 401K's no stock, etc. We rent on house to my adult children. I am working with the banks to modify both loans and retain possession. I work and make under $50K a year. She works part time occasionally, and collects SSI in the amount of $10K a year. I cover 100% of all living expenses, house payments, car ins, utilities, etc and will maintain these debt services after she leaves.

Question: How much alimony can I expect to pay?

Thank you,

Wayne Kraper
Melbourne, FL [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The rule of thumb with spousal support is that spousal support will be awarded in an amount to equalize income for period of time equal to half the length of the marriage.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will the court take into concideration if a party is not work but is able in calculating income equality?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Related Family Law Questions