How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How is the amount of child support determined. My sons X is

Resolved Question:

How is the amount of child support determined. My son's X is asking for more then he can afford. We live in FL and he is in construction. Work is few and far between jobs. She is married with 2 incomes. They have 2 children, she kept the girl and for the last 5 yrs he had the boy. Now the boy wants to live with his mom and she wants child support for both children but will not allow him to see his daughter. Should he have to pay child support for a daughter he is not allowed contact with?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


Yes, they do go by what he earns. In Florida, child support is based on child support guidelines. Both parents' net incomes are combined, and a basic child support obligation is determined using a chart. Then, the child support amount is calculated based on the payor's percentage share of the combined income.


Child support and visitation are separate issues. The court will not discontinue support because the mother refuses to allow visitations, because that harms the child. If the mother is denying court ordered visitations, your son can bring contempt proceedings against her. In some cases, the court will order a change in custody where the custodial parent purposefully refuses visitations.



Lady Themis and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you